Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Roger's Shrimps


This simply delicious shrimp dish is not from my family though, I got it from my friend, Roger, so I named it after him.

Roger made this dish when he and Wan-Yi came to NYC for their business trip. We invited them to live with us, and we all had fun cooking together. Roger loves to cook and he always cooks fresh food. His foods are light, and tasty, healthy, and good looking at the same time.

Made this dish when you are planing to have a fun and friendly party where people are ready to eat with their fingers, and don't care about the messiness of the yummy sauce running through their hands. Peeling the shell and eating is a part of the dish....So, have fun with it.


As I've said, Roger's foods are light and simple, like this dish, the only seasoning he put on was a tiny bit of salt, and that amazed me because when I tasted it, I thought that it'd got to be a lot of seasoning in there.

Fresh shrimps with shell is a trick here.
Shell will lock in the natural sweetness and freshness of shrimps. The head part of shrimp helps create a tasty yummy sauce. So, let's be friend with all things with heads ;)


- 1 lb. fresh shrimp with head and shell on.
- 10 or more green onion, chopped.
- 10 small heads shallots, chopped.
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup tbsp. water or stock.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil


Prepare fresh shrimp: rinse them under cold water then use kitchen shears cut off only small part of the eyes, rostrum (a sharp pointy looking thing) and long antennae, leave the whole head intact along with shell.

1. A pan on high heat, add in olive oil, shallot, green onion. Saute 1 minute.
2. In goes shrimps, stir to incorporate. Add water or stock. Stir.
3. Cover a pan with a lid for 2 minutes - until shrimps start to look opaque then season it with salt, sprinkle with black pepper.
4. Saute until all shrimps turn opaque about 2 minutes more. Taste it and adjust the taste, and if you love lots of sauce - like my husband- add more stock. Turn off the heat.
5. Serve.


This dish's become my favorite right away. I made it three times in a week. YUM!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...